There’s no discernible pattern to Helena Deland’s latest release. On the third and fourth volumes of From The Series of Songs “Altogether Unaccompanied”, the Montreal-based artist has amassed a collection of memories in song form, more like a box of old photos or unsent letters than a traditional EP.
“The songs are to be considered as their own little things,” she says about her unconventional release structure. “They are part of something larger, yes, but they live on their own.” As a listener, however, there is an undeniable cohesion to Vol. III and IV, and to the previous iterations of the project: each song is nostalgic, intimate, and indelible.
The tracks range from tender folk, to synth-infused pop, to 80s-inspired alternative. Deland describes these changing tonalities as the “atmosphere” of each song, and it fits. “Two Queries” is a thick, warm fog in its haunting harmony and stripped-down guitar. “Claudion”, a colourful dance track, feels like a summer day.
Her songs are memories; beacons of particular moments in time that extend to encompass a deeply relatable sense of melancholy. “A Stone is a Stone” is particularly cinematic in its build, like the climactic scene of a period romance.
References abound, but the sound is all her own. Musical and literary influences weave through with ease, underscored by her dynamic vocals and clever lyricism. Deland’s constant journaling has allowed her songwriting to mature organically. “You leave all the people before they know it,” she sings on “Rise,” and you feel it.
“I’m learning to be really patient,” she says, “I can’t really force writing. When I’m ready to write a song the words and melody are usually there.”
Nycholas Fortin | firstname.lastname@example.org
US: Catherine Herrick | email@example.com
UK: Debbie Ball | firstname.lastname@example.org
CA: Darryl Weeks | email@example.com
MX: Malfi Dorantes | firstname.lastname@example.org
US: Karl Morse | email@example.com
EU: Sally Dunstone | firstname.lastname@example.org
CA: Michael Bardier | email@example.com
- 09/02/2018Mile Ex End Festival, Montreal, Canada
- 09/20/2018Maison des arts Desjardins Drummondville - Studio EGR, Drummondville, Canada - Tickets
- 09/21/2018Le Zaricot Café Acoustique, Saint-hyacinthe, Canada - Tickets
- 09/22/2018L'oeil de la Tempête, Trois Pistoles, Canada
- 10/05/2018Petite Boite Noire, Sherbrooke, Canada
- 10/11/2018Café culturel de la Chasse-galerie, Lavaltrie, Canada - Tickets
- 10/13/2018Petit Chicago, Gatineau, Canada
- 10/18/2018Halifax Pop Explosion @ Seahorse Tavern, Halifax, Canada
- 10/20/2018Simple Things, Bristol, United Kingdom
- 10/22/2018SWG3 Poetry club, Glasgow, United Kingdom - Tickets
- 10/23/2018Castle Hotel, Manchester, United Kingdom - Tickets
- 10/24/2018The Sebright Arms, London, United Kingdom - Tickets
- 10/25/2018DDW, Eindhoven, Netherlands
- 10/26/2018London Calling, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 10/28/2018Maze, Berlin, Germany - Tickets
- 10/29/2018Acephale, Cologne, Germany
- 10/31/2018Pitchfork Avant Garde Festival, Paris, France
- 11/16/2018Théâtre Fairmount, Montreal, Canada
- 11/17/2018Annexe 3, Laval, Canada
- 11/23/2018Église St. James, Trois-rivieres, Canada - Tickets
- 11/24/2018La Méduse, Quebec City, Canada
- 11/29/2018Monarch Tavern, Toronto, Canada